Thursday, December 27, 2007

Shantideva

Whatever joy there is in this worldAll comes from desiring others to be happy,And whatever suffering there is in this world,All comes from desiring myself to be happy.But what need is there to say much more?The childish work for their own benefit,The Buddhas work for the benefit of others.Just look at the difference between them!"May I become food and drink in the eons of famine for those poverty-stricken suffers.May I be a doctor, medicine and nurse for all sick beings in the world until everyone is cured.May I become never-ending wish-fulfilling treasures materialising in front of each of them as all the enjoyments they need.May I be a guide for those who do not have a guide, a leader for those who journey, a boat for those who want to cross over, and all sorts of ships, bridges, beautiful parks for those who desire them, and light for those who need light.And may I become beds for those who need a rest, and a servant to all who need servants.May I also become the basic conditions for all sentient beings, such as earth or even the sky, which is indestructible.May I always be the living conditions for all sentient beings until all sentient beings are enlightened."

No comments: